The registration underShop and Establishment Act is regulated by the labour department of respective state. Most of the state governments have passed their own law through the legislature assembly or have adopted some other state government legislation on shops and establishment.
MEANING( DELHI SHOP AND ESTABLISHMENT ACT, 1954):
Shop means any premises where goods are sold either by retail or wholesale or where services are rendered to customers, and includes an office, a store-room, godown, warehouse or workhouse or work place, whether in the same premises or otherwise, used in or in connection with such trade or business but does not include a factory or a commercial establishment;
Establishment means a shop, a commercial establishment, residential hotel, restaurant, eating-house, theatre or other places of public amusement or entertainment to which this Act applies and includes such other establishment as Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, declare to be an establishment for the purpose of this Act;
Documents( DELHI SHOP AND ESTABLISHMENT ACT, 1954)
1. Name of the Establishment.
2. Postal Address of the Establishment.
3. Nature of business.
4. Full name of Occupier or the Employer.
5.Total number of Employee.
6. Date on which the establishment commenced its work.
OTHER RELEVANT INFO( DELHI SHOP AND ESTABLISHMENT ACT, 1954):
1. Registration is mandatory under the Act.
2. Every Shops and Establishments shall remain closed for one day in a week.
3. No young person or Woman shall be required to work as employee or otherwise in an establishment between 8 P.M. to 8 A.M during winter season and between 9 P.M . to 7 A.M. during the summer season.
RECORDS( DELHI SHOP AND ESTABLISHMENT ACT, 1954):
1.The occupier shall keep exhibited in the shop or establishment a notice setting forth the close day.
2.The occupier shall keep record about the business of which persons are employed, hours worked and the amount of leave taken .
3. For the purpose of this Act maintain such other records and registers and display such other notices as may be prescribed.
TIME AND CONDITIONS FOR PAYMENT OF WAGES( DELHI SHOP AND ESTABLISHMENT ACT, 1954):
1. Wage period, so fixed, shall not exceed one month.
2. Wages shall be paid in cash.
3. Wages of every employee shall be paid on a working day before the expiry of the seventh day of the last day of the wage period in respect of which the wages are payable.
INSPECTION OF REGISTER AND OTHER RECORDS( DELHI SHOP AND ESTABLISHMENT ACT, 1954):
Every occupier shall produce all accounts or records required to be kept for the purpose of this Act for inspection by Inspector.
PENALITIES( DELHI SHOP AND ESTABLISHMENT ACT, 1954):
1. If any shop/establishment contravene any provision of this Act except Section 33,41 and 42,the employer or manager as the case may be shall on conviction be punished with fine which shall not be less than twenty-five rupees and which may extend to two hundred and fifty rupees.
2. If any person contravene provision of section 33, he shall be liable on conviction to a fine of Rs. 5 for every day on which the contravention occurs or continues.